1 lb. fresh spinach
1/2 cup peanut, vegetable, or corn oil
1/4 cup finely shredded bamboo shoots
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1. Wash spinach leaves thoroughly under cold running water, drain well.
2. Heat the oil in a wok or skillet. Using a medium-high flame, cook the bamboo shoots in the oil approximately 45 seconds, stirring constantly.
3. Add spinach and stir until wilted.
4. Add salt and sugar, and cook, stirring, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes longer.
5. Transfer to a hot platter, but do not add the liquid from the pan.
Epicurious, January 2001